(Series 21, ep. 15 ‘The Family Way’ by Becky Prestwich 9.4.19) As usual, pop over to Metro to read my full review of this episode.
But before all that…
– David Ames is wringing every last drop of emotion out of this storyline and he’s being brilliant as usual. Bringing Roger back was a lovely idea, both as a sort of avatar for Lofty but also because he’s a lovely character in his own right and it was nice for Dominic to have some support.
– I’ve had a scathingly brilliant idea that Steven Fletcher should turn out to be Dominic’s father (the father hasn’t been mentioned or asked about, weirdly). That would make Dominic Fletch’s brother and Dominic would become a Fletchling. Of course that’s too far-fetched even for this far-fetched storyline, but a girl can dream.
– The episode was beautifully written (by the marvellous Becky Prestwich) and didn’t go over-the-top with Ange’s reminiscences about her six months with Baby Dom (was it Ange who named him Darren? If not, what did she call him?). This left the imagination to fill in the gaps of those sweet and stressful months as she bonded with her little boy only to realise she had to give him away.
– The scene where Serena talked to Donna about daughters was beautifully written, too, and Catherine Russell delivered the most touching performance.
– Zav’s little talk with Mia was perfect. It took me a while to warm to Zav, but I think he’s entirely precious now. The relationship between him and Donna is a wonderful thing.